Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What goes DOWN, must come UP??? Really!?!?

Well...our little sweeties reflux doesn't seem to be getting better unfortunately for her and for us. I guess we were thinking after being on Zantac a few days we would be spit-up free forever! Maybe a teeny bit over optimistic!!
I guess I'm eating my words now, because I remember very recently telling someone how we never used bibs or many burp cloths with Lily because she wasn't a spit-up baby. I remember 3 times that she ever spit-up! ha ha Well...now my heart goes out to all the parents that deal with reflux, no matter how severe. It's not fun...whether your little one spits up once a day or at every feeding. I do a load of laundry every night of just Kyndall's clothes, my clothes and all the burp cloths and bibs that get drenched! Did I mention it is projectile!? Yuck!
Lately we have an episode of "what goes down, must come up" at least once a day, sometimes twice a day and each time it is projectile. The other day Lily witnessed it and said "ok baby?" with the most concerned look on her face! Precious! 
We have questioned everything...is it my milk? is it gas? was it something I ate? what is making her so uncomfortable? 
After talking to our doctor, it is a combination of acid reflux and gas, and prematurity can also be playing a role. He does not believe it is the milk, or it would be happening more frequently, but in the future if he decides we need to switch to a formula to see if that helps, we are willing to do whatever we can to get her tummy feeling better. Right now, we will continue to give her Zantac every 12hrs and follow some of the other recommendations they gave us like holding her more upright while feeding her and burping her more often. 
Still gonna stay optimistic! 

1 comment:

Kimberly Graesser said...

I feel your pain! Peter was a 40+ burp-cloth a day baby. And a happy spitter. I used to do laundry twice a day with him. With Sarah it's more like 20 or so burp cloths. She's actually down to using about 5 a day now (at 8 months) but it's grosser because there's food mixed in - EW!

Several friends I know have had success with their kids' spit up reducing after seeing a chiropractor that specialized in infants. It's supposed to help realign the esophagus after birth.

I'm planning on taking our next babies, but Sarah is too old for it to do any good now (and I didn't hear about it until recently). It might be something to look into for you!